Monday, March 06, 2006

CC becomes aware

In Robertson Davies' fine novel What's Bred in the Bone, Francis Cornish becomes aware of the world at the age of two while looking carefully at a peony in his mother's garden.

Every time I find a new author whom I adore, I feel like I'm seeing the world anew.

Run, do not walk, to your nearest bookstore and buy Laurie R. King's The Beekeeper's Apprentice. It is just that good.

The writing is so very well-crafted and subtle that I almost resent anyone who has read it and not told me about it. I feel like I've been walking around the cocktail party of life with spinach in my teeth because I did not know about this writer.

To help others avoid that feeling, I've decided to start putting novels I find life changing in my sidebar. Read them. They're good.

CC

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alow me to personally apologize for never having told you about "Beekeepers Apprentice."