Monday, June 27, 2005

Yeah, what my husband said...

Michelle asked why I am so cynical about our new study/action issue.

I was thinking about an answer, but was going to put off writing it until after I went to the gym.

So TheCSO answered, saying all the stuff I would have said and saying it at least more concisely if not better, and maybe better:

Well, one problem with it is that it's a Big Picture issue, not something that we could make a real impact on.

And even worse, the issue IS to talk about stuff. Frankly, UUs as a body already spend way too much time talking and not enough time doing. (And protesting something is talking, not doing.)

I'm not a big proponent of social justice work, but if you're going to do it, do it where you can make a real impact. And with talking about it, you get all the annoying parts of SJ work (not accomplishing anything concrete, having to listen to people yak endlessly about their really boring Pet Issue, etc.) without the good parts (actually accomplishing something that improves people's lives in a concrete way).

The UUA needs to stop trying to articulate my values for me.


Yep, I picked a good'un.

CC

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK, I gotcha. Good points, these, for sure.