Sunday, June 05, 2005

CC re-answers the book meme


You’re stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?


I've changed my mind on this one, having reaquianted myself with Natalie Angier's "Woman: An Intimate Geography."

In Fahrenheit 451, we will need all the health information we can get, and women's health information is usually low-priority.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

In my original answer I forgot my enthusiasm for detectives.

The last books you bought are…?

God's Politics

And

The Good, the Bad & the Difference : How to Tell the Right From Wrong in Everyday Situations (by the guy who writes The Ethicist column in the NYT)


The last book you read is…?

Freakonomics. I really enjoyed it and have had several good discussions with theCSO resulting. I'm not quite sure what the deal was with fawning over Stephen Leavitt being such a central part of the book. I'm trying to list people who could write a book with a collaborator and spend half the book having the collaborator fawn write about them and have it not suck.

So far my list is:

1. Richard Feynman

What are you currently reading?
The Science of Good and Evil : Why People Cheat, Gossip, Care, Share, and Follow the Golden Rule

By Micheal Shermer, on whom I have mixed feelings. ( Why People Believe weird things bitched about slippery slope arguments, then used them consistently. Ex-fundamentalists who write about religion are in general suspect. )

I have trouble believing his arguments that large mammals are moral beings. But hey, he likes skeptics…

CC
whose answers to the desert island question didn't change.

No comments: