Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Wanda Sykes on Gay Marriage



I actually posted this awhile ago just because I thought it was funny. Wanda Sykes is really awesome. But this portion of one of her comedy routines becomes all the more poignant given that she has recently come out, saying:

"Now, I got to get in their face. I'm proud to be a woman. I'm proud to be a black woman, and I'm proud to be gay."

Sykes also said that she had kept her private life to herself, but took the passage of proposition 8 as an attack. I'm sorry that she couldn't continue to keep her private life private if that was her first choice, but I'm glad to have strong voices like hers on the side of what I believe in.

Anyway, yay Wanda!

CC

Ps. Speaking of awesomeness look who lost his Senate race!

2 comments:

TheCSO said...

Anyone who wants to keep their private life private, unless they are a target for political/tactical outing, can darn well do so if they want to. Prop 8 may have made her feel compelled to come out, but it sure didn't force her to.

Chalicechick said...

(((Anyone who wants to keep their private life private, unless they are a target for political/tactical outing, can darn well do so if they want to. )))

For most people this is true, though she is a TV star and I'm sure if the gossip magazines could've outed her, they would have.

Arguably, she knew it was going to come out sometime and simply chose to reveal it at a time when it could do some good.


CC