Sunday, September 10, 2006

Notes from the church retreat

My YRUUERS have a rather politically incorrect joke they like to tell.

The joke is called "the pimp and three hos." If I were telling you, I would sit in front of you and say:

"once upon a time there was a pimp who had three hos. He calls the first ho over and said "you owe me $100."
The woman says "no, I only owe you fifty dollars."
"don't correct me, Bitch!" the pimp says, slapping her.

He calls the second ho over and said "you owe me $200."
The woman says "no, I only owe you 150 dollars."
"don't correct me, Bitch!" the pimp says, slapping her.

He calls the third ho over and says "you owe me $300."
The woman says "no, I only owe you $250 dollars."
"don't correct me, Bitch!" the pimp says, slapping her.

Then the pimp called his forth ho over...
___________________

This is where you would probably say "But CC, you said the pimp only had THREE hos!"

And I'd get to slap you and say, "don't correct me, Bitch!"

Now this is nobody's idea of polite humor, but in YRUU and life everything is a teachable moment and this joke has really made me think about a few things.

Thanks to this joke, "don't correct me, Bitch" has become a running joke in our youth group.

The little corrections, those "that's not how the song goes," bits of information that we all say so naturally, now earn one a sharp though joking "Don't correct me, bitch!" from my YRUUERS.

The "don't correct me, bitch" is now in my head and I notice corrections far more easily. I'm intrigued.

We correct each other all the damn time.

I'm not saying this is completely a bad thing. I like to be correct and half of correctness is knowing when you're incorrect and fixing it.

But their joke does have me thinking about how often I correct, and whether I really need to do so quite so much.

CC

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How I wish I could slap my husband across the face and say "Don't correct me, bitch!" That would feel so good!

(submitted anonymously for obvioius reasons...)

Anonymous said...

I may have to import this one, to join "yes, I have monkeys in my pants"...

Anonymous said...

I only correct people if I think the information is worth having. For example, on Friday a man looked at my purse and said, "I like your purse, I'm a Burberry fan." My purse actually cost $15 and I didn't realize at the time I bought it that it was meant to be a knockoff. When a woman has asked me point-blank whether it's Burberry, I will tell her no, because it might be useful to her to be able to tell the difference between the real and knockoff. But I didn't correct this guy, because it felt like it would just be rude; he was trying to compliment my taste, not find out the fine line between real and faux.