Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Interview Meme!

1. Leave me a casual comment of no particular significance, like a lyric to your current favorite song, your favorite kind of sandwich, or maybe your favorite game. Any remark, meaningless or not.
2. I will respond by asking you five personal questions so I can get to know you better.
3. Update your LJ with the answers to the questions.
4. Include this explanation and offer to ask someone else in your own post.
5. When others respond with a desultory comment, you will ask them five questions.


Here's my response to the questions I was asked by Fishy


1) do you talk to objects that you work with (when other people might hear you)

Yes, most often my printer, who sometimes has to be coaxed to do his job.

2) what do you want to have done before you die?

My friend Katy-the-Wise says that the meaning of life is to figure out what’s important and work to preserve and promote those things. (Paraphrased)

That sounds good to me.

3) what do you do to keep your mind flexible?

Blog memes? Seriously, I read a lot and I find myself trying to figure things out. I have a pretty analytical approach to life anyway, so lack of thinking is rarely my problem. I’m always analyzing situations and trying to figure out why people think and feel the way they do.

4) what do you like about working with the UU youth group?

One time, the kids were upstairs in the service and Jana-who-creates and I were preparing the room for youth group. An awkward teenager I don't know very well came in and was talking to us because he didn't feel like going to church.

I needed a folder from the RE office upstairs.

“Hey,” I said to the youth. “If you go get the YRUU folder from the RE Office, I’ll give you a dollar and Jana will give you advice on being cool.”

“Ok,” he said. When he brought me the folder, I handed him a dollar. I expected Jana to say something like “Watch Buffy, imitate Spike” or something else silly, but she regarded him seriously and said,

“What do you need to know?”

“Well, sometimes I want to talk to someone about something, but it’s not their thing and they are interested in something else. How do I talk to them about stuff I like, and how do I talk to them if they like totally different stuff?”

She started out explaining that sometimes the secret was to connect your interest to something they like, explaining that she reads comic books and can usually find a comic book about anything that might interest anybody else. Build a bridge between your interests and something they care about.

I then explained that people loved to talk about their interests, and if you get someone else talking about something they like, they will like you more and you will probably find that what they are talking about sounds pretty interesting just because the talker is enthusiastic.

I was just screwing around when I said my friend would give the guy advice on being cool, but I think we really helped him, and in a way that I wish somebody had helped me when I was 15 or so.

That's what I like.


5) if you had to grow all your own food, would you be a vegetarian rather than raise and slaughter your own meat?

Hmm… I’m awfully lazy. I might starve. More seriously, I find myself imagining some combination of eggs, fruit trees and fish. I suck at fishing, but I think I could learn.

6 comments:

Jo Gerrard said...

Are you doing this here? You could be asking questions for a very long time...

I scream I'm pretty/I'm numb and needy/I sink way to high, man/I soar way too low...

Chalicechick said...

Yes.

Questions for SisterCoyote:

1. What is the significance of your name?
2. Who taught you to knit? What do you remember of the experience of learning?
3. Who is someone you really admire?
4. What's something weird you wonder about?
5. Why do you live where you live.

Let me know which blog you respond on, because I know you have several!

CC

Unknown said...

i like monopoly, and several card games. but you know that already...

Chalicechick said...

Questions for J.

1. You like to joke that while some people were raised Catholic, you were raised a Girl Scout. I was raised a Presbyterian and I realize that my upbringing had a pretty significant impact on the way I see the world as an adult. How did growing up a Girl Scout impact you as an adult?

2. I know you like Richard Bach’s Illusions, while I have always been skeptical of that sort of philosophy. To what degree do you believe that it is true? Are there Donald Shimodas in this world, or is it metaphor. If it is a metaphor, how closely does it reflect reality?

3. Why be Goth? (“Why not?” is an insufficient answer, btw.)

4. You’ve mentioned before that polyamorous people like to use you as a therapist. I am doubting that there are many couples therapists in this world who are truly equipped to deal with polyamory. I know you want to do work where you could help people. Is that a career you’ve considered?

5. What is a mainstream person like, and how do you differ from one?

Anonymous said...

Remember that there exists a certain malevolence about the formation of any social order. It is the struggle for existence by an artificial entity. Despotism and slavery hover at the edges. Many injuries occur and, thus, the need for laws. The law develops its own power structure, creating more wounds and new injustices.

Chalicechick said...

Questions for Charlie:

1. What's your philosophy of marriage? How should couples make decisions within a marriage? How do you know when you know someone well enough to get married? Do husbands and wives have certain roles to play within the marriage or should roles be divided up according to natural talent or desire to fill them?

2. You tell me all the time that you hated high school, hated the other students at your high school and never want to even go to a reunion. Yet you want to teach high school. What gives?

3. Do you consider yourself a physically handicapped person? Why or why not?

4. Years ago, you were a pretty social guy, but recently you told me that you really don't want to meet new people very often, and indeed, I've observed you pretty much hang out with the same half dozen people. What lead to this change? Do you view it as a positive or negative one?

5. Do you miss gaming?

Answer on your blog!