Monday, January 25, 2010

A sign of how nuts I am when it comes to art

When I read about the woman who fell and tore the Picasso, my first thought was "If I ever accidentally tore a Picasso, I would feel like I had to sell off all of my stuff and become a Mother-Theresa-like nurse to the poor to EVER repay the debt to society that I had just incurred."

Also, I thought "Whoa, there's a Picasso show opening at the Met in April! Ye Gods, I have to go!"

Any Chalicesseurs want to meet up in NY in May/June? I am notoriously bad about scheduling meetups, and weirdly shy about meeting people I've only known online, but in this case we will have amazing art to distract you if I'm not as interesting as you expect.

Anyway, when a major Picasso show came to DC, I had to visit on three separate days to get through the whole show because really excellent art tends to fill my brain to capacity, but bus tickets from DC are cheap and theCSO and I will probably do at least one weekend at Mary-who-Dances' house.

So anyway, Picasso lovers within traveling distance of NY, give me a holler. DC folks who are my friends in real life who happen to be reading this blog are also welcome.

CC

Ps. Criminal justice *headdesk* of the day

5 comments:

L said...

I like Picasso quite a bit, although I prefer his Blue Period to the Rose Period.

LinguistFriend said...

From the article, it appears that this tear is highly and unobtrusively repairable. Such things happen more often than museum visitors are aware of, is my impression. Don't become Mother Teresa, even if you stumble into a Picasso. Your talents don't lie that way.

PG said...

Did you see the Picasso/Matisse show several years ago? The regular MoMA was closed then so they held it in Queens. I saw the Picasso museum in Barcelona the next year and didn't like it as much as the one in Paris. In Paris the art is exhibited in a house-like building, with a courtyard garden, and it feels very human and accessible. It and the Renoir museum (which is a little outside Paris) were my two favorite things in France. In Barcelona it's in a grand, somewhat dark building and I felt like they were overly focused on Picasso as a political/ social commentator. Anyway, I've thought since then that large museums shouldn't maintain permanent collections of these artists, but instead focus on curating exhibits where they borrow the art.

hsofia said...

Le sigh. I am sooooo jealous. If I were child-free, I'd be right there with you.

RandomRanter said...

Hmm, I have an art school graduate sister in NYC...