Sunday, August 20, 2006

Alison Bechdel's Fun Home is the most brilliant thing I've read in a long time.

And I'm a Chuck Palahniuk fan.

I cannot tell you the number of insights into my own childhood I've had in the last two days reading this book. They are the "Ouch! But at least I understand it better now" sorts of insights.

Of course, this means now I have to own everything Alison Bechdel has ever written/drawn. So now my amazon wishlist has like half a dozen lesbian-themed comic books on it.

I can't imagine what I will see next time Amazon tells me what my interests are.

Anyway, buy it. Read it.


CC

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize she had published a graphic novel. It's nice to see her branching out. I used to read "Dykes to Watch Out For" in the early '90s and heard her speak when I was in college. She's always been very ambitious; at the time she aspired to be "the lesbian Norman Rockwell." "Dykes" was designed to humanize and normalize lesbian life (part of the grand project of "visibility" that inspired gay and lesbian artists at the time), but groundbreaking though it was I grew bored with it after awhile. The strip always had a great sense of humor but the storylines were self-involved and soap-opera-y. I'm glad to see her moving on; she's too great a talent to have stood still for so long.

Anonymous said...

Good, I got that book for a friend's birthday recently based on the Powell's raves.