Sunday, March 27, 2005

What I've Been Reading Lately

Fausto told up what he's been reading lately. Here's my version.

Rita Nakashima Brock and Rebecca Ann Parker’s Proverbs Of Ashes which I started because one of the ministers at my church gave a particularly good sermon on redemptive suffering, so good that I am rethinking a few things I’d assumed.

Richard Osterling and Joan Osterling’s “Mormon America”because when one is in Rome, one should figure out what the Roman’s deal is.

For my less-strenuous reading, I’m halfway through Donna Tartt’s The Little Friend. I don’t know why I tend to read coming-of-age stories. At least this one has a murder.

And I just finished Tim O’Brien’s Going After Cacciato which really blew me away.

CC
who also scared the bejabbers out of herself reading "Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper -- Case Closed" which she really enjoyed, though wished had more citations.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read Proverbs of Ashes about a month ago, and wrote up a review

http://transparenteye.net/archives/000114.html

Rebecca Parker gave a sermon on "Paradise" which is the focus of the new book she is working on, at First Parish in Cambridge. I spoke to her afterward, and have corresponded with her by email. She told me she's participating in an initiative at

http://faithvoices.org/

which uses an interesting software called Synanim which allows documents to be written jointly to forge a consensus.

Chalicechick said...

Spiffiness.

I will write a full review when I've finished it.

CC