Friday, February 11, 2005

Dark night of the soul

So how can one tell when being neurotic and anxious has gone from an adorable facet of one's character and become and actual problem?

Like, when you're supposed to be having a fun long weekend with a friend whom you flew hundreds of miles to see, but you found out two hours before you got on the plane that didn't catch a mistake at work that you could have caught that will cost the bosses a couple hundred bucks to reprint something, and nobody's really blaming you, but you feel really bad about it and you wake up at 2 a.m. and at 4:30 a.m. you're still up and feeling bummed out and unfun?

In a related note, since when does a PDF cut off part of a document. Ever?

Like a PDF is supposed to be a perfect copy. Isn't it?

I mean, the whole office had checked over it in MS Publisher format. I printed it to a PDF and sent it. Ignore me. I'm obsessing again.

CC

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, how I know the feeling. I refer to this as the "World Peach" problem because once, in a magazine sent to 120,000 really smart people, which we proofread the bejeezus out of, a big 24-point quote in the middle of a big feature story said (I am not making this up):

Greeley and Niwano "were both driven by the same passion for world peace, and in particular, world peach achieved through spiritual peace."

I'm sure five different people had looked at that page before it was printed. There were galleys, page proofs, color page proofs, proofs from the printer, designers, editors, copy editors. I'm sure we read every word. (Actually, I'm sure I didn't, since I was hired just as the issue was going to press, but I now know that we are all fallible and that I've managed to commit my own smaller "world peaches" on a scale of 120,000 or so. What a feeling!)

Think of yourself as a World Peach winner.