I'm thinking about writing a fiction peice about a minister* and I'm curious.
What exactly are the rules for single ministers? Thanks to UUgirl's blog, I'm used to reading about this from the Clergy Sexual Misconduct angle, so I don't really know how it is done correctly and have the vague impression that meeting a significant other on the internet, maintaining a long-distance courtship and only bringing schnookums to church once the wedding ring is on her finger is the only really safe way to go about it.
Minister-dating seems so much more complicated than other careers with dating restrictions (e.g. Therapists-Don't. Professors-Wait 'till he graduates. Doctor-Don't ask while he's naked and if you date advise him to see somebody else for medical care)
How they met:
1. If Reverend Bob meets Jane at a non-worship event at the church, like she comes to a church bazaar looking for some furniture and they start talking as he helps her load a desk into her car, can they date?
2. If Jane is of the same faith but attends another local church of the same denomination, can they date?
3. If Jane attends Reverend Bob's church, resigns her membership and joins another local church and calls him up a month later, can they date?
4. If Jane is a member of Reverend Bob's church and he moves to a church in another city and they start e-mailing, can they date?
5. Can she come to the church bazaar and help out?
6. Can she come to church on Sunday? Occaisionally? Regularly?
7. I take it that she shouldn't join?
8. I'm kinda icked out by the idea that the girlfriend would find the guy being a religious leader sexy and probably won't write it that way. But that's probably grounds for dumping, yes? I mean, if she's wanting you to go naked under your robe or do it in the sanctuary?
9. Any other issues I haven't thought of?
*Not even sure it's a UU minister yet, but I'm assuming the rules are pretty much the same.