1. The Eels – I like Birds
The Eels was my favorite band when I was in college and I've always liked this song's laid-back groove.
2. The Dandy Warhols - We Used to be Friends
Because it was Veronica Mars' theme song and for many other reasons.
3. The Dead Milkmen - Punk Rock Girl
Go ahead, listen to this song and TRY not to like it. I dare you.
4. Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues
I developed a taste for country music when I lived in New Orleans and this song has always been a favorite.
5. Melissa Etheridge - Threesome
I have a few quibbles with Melissa's slightly judgmental tone, but I love this:
Now, sometimes at night
after the kids are in bed
I'm changing the channels
And you're surfing the web
I stumble onto that show
With all of those ladies
You know with those things
Acting all crazy
I don't know how they manage
To do all that damage
We barely find enough time to kiss
That’s exactly how I view this sort of show. (And I'd stop to watch for a bit, too)
6. Joan Jett and the Blackhearts’s cover of the Mary Tyler Moore theme.
CC’s theme song. It’s hardcore, yet the adorable goofy optimism shines through.
7. Jill Sobule - Karen by Night
I really like this nifty little ballad. It’s the perfect offbeat addition to any mix.
8. The Butthole Surfers – Dracula from Houston
What can I say? I’m a child of the eighties.
9. The Moldy Peaches – Lazy Confession
It’s probably very predictable that I would be into anti-folk. Oh well.
10. Warren Zevon - Lawyers, Guns and Money
The Zevon connoisseur I know assures me that this is an example of his more popular and crappy stuff, but I still wanted it to be my ringtone.