Monday, June 28, 2010

Yo.

Sorry I've been AWOL for a couple of weeks. My summer has been busy, if fun.

Random thoughts-

-I applaud the "don't cancel the Arizona GA" plan. At the same time, I stay well away from UU events with "Justice" in the title, so I'm skipping that one. But I should be in Charlotte next year.

-I'm really bummed about the death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's husband, who was a beloved and respected professor at my law school. At the same time, I'm perversely a little pleased that lots of the news coverage focuses on him as her husband, since this stuff usually goes the other way.

CC

Criminal justice *headdesk* of the day. Not the editorial itself, but that it needed to be written.

3 comments:

Bill Baar said...

Welcome back...you were missed.

PG said...

"talked about him as if he was just as important in getting her on the Supreme Court as President Clinton."

Pretty close. Martin Ginsburg had a particularly good relationship with Orrin Hatch, who essentially protected RBG from the other Republicans on the Judiciary Committee and ensured that her hearings would be mostly civil.

"A supportive husband who is willing to share duties and responsibilities is a must for any woman who hopes to combine marriage and a career" -Ruth Bader Ginsburg

In the acknowledgement section of her study "Legal Status of Women Under the Law," she notes, "Large contributions were made by Martin D. Ginsburg, who supplied the substantive analysis of Title 26."

Anonymous said...

Interested in your comment "I stay well away from UU events with "Justice" in the title." I tend to do that as well, but it is getting harder to do without just giving up on UU. I'd be interested in your reasons and how you deal with the current climate.