Friday, April 07, 2006

This also is a good thing (updated)

I really start to feel unhip and crusty when I'm in the mall these days. I spent my time in the mall as a kid, but my underwear was safely inside my clothes. And my rude t-shirts do not in retrospect seem as rude as their rude t-shirts.

Something about "I taught your boyfriend that thing you like" plastered across the chest of a ten-year-old girl is pretty disconcerting.

Ditto "I'm not a slut, I'm just popular!" on a sixteen year old.

Ditto "I was molested by Micheal and all I got was this lousy t-shirt" on anybody.

Well, a lady named Jenifer Hoffman has seen what I've seen and actually did something about it. She started a company called Emotional Armor making t-shirts with more positive slogans.

Some of them, e.g. "I believe in me" are a little hokey, but they have some like "Princess. Not in need of rescue" that sound edgy enough to pass in the halls of a junior high school.

Good stuff.

CC
(update: I had the company's name wrong. The ever-observant Sean Parker Dennison pointed this out and I fixed it.)

2 comments:

Chalicechick said...

Fixed the company's name in their post.

Fixing their website is up to them.

S

Anonymous said...

Emotional Armor website and e-commerce are up and running. All net profits are donated to the prevention of violence and a children's cultural enrichment program so this is not an opportunity to advertise just an update on the business and it's five months accomplishments on what started in reality as a fundraiser has been amazing...thanks for the support of the messages! J