Friday, June 03, 2005

Quote of the Day

"And I asked the Lord, "Lord, why have you forsaken me?". But there was silence. So , I asked again, "Lord, WHY have you forsaken me??", and there was silence. So I asked again, "LORD, WHY have you forsaken me??"..... and this great booming voice said "Geez, I don't know Travis, I guess something about you just chaps at my ass."


--I'm having a big pedantic argument about The Night the the Lights went out in Georgia with my neighbor PG (no, really, we share a metro stop), and I was googling the song and it turns out there was a 1981 movie based on the title, and Dennis Quaid says that in the movie.

2 comments:

Denise said...

I was soooooo annoyed with the movie after worshiping the song for far too long in my pre-teen years (1973 - long before Reba sang it).

You talk about the prideful way Reba sings about not confessing, I don't think Vicki sang it that way. I think it's Reba in general, all of her songs sound that way to me. Even when she's suppose to sound regretful or nervous, she still has some tinge of pridefulness lurking in there.

And by the way, I don't think you can (or should) use Reba's song in your debate and certainly not her tone unless you are only talking about her version of the song.

Look at the timeline -

First release by Lawrence in '73
Movie in like '81
Reba remake in the '90s

Don't you need to decide what you're really debating and discussing? This isn't a true story and all three versions of been tweaked by people responsible for them. How can Reba's pridefulness have any relationship to the movie? The remake came 10 years after the movie. I suppose you might say that in Reba's song you are hearing HER ideas about what really happened the night the lights went out but it's just her version, isn't it?

Geez it's too early for this, I need coffee!

Chalicechick said...

"You see, little sister don't miss when she aims her gun" are not the words of an upset person, though I will admit that the Vicki version sounds LESS prideful.

I probably would have loved it when I was a kid.

Have never seen the movie, but I thought that quote was hilarious, and the CSO did, too.

CC