Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Does anybody else here dream movies?

Last night I dreamed an action movie, or really half of one. My college has a music festival every year and I dreamed that these punks with AK-47s took over the music festival and were holding my college hostage.

The most logical thing would be to call the cops on my cell phone, but this was clearly an action movie, because instead I escaped into the woods (by diving into the lake and swimming there) and was planning to live there for a few days and sneak back in and save the campus, rescuing TheCSO in the process. The "living in the woods" part is especially ludicrous as CC has all the forest survival skills of Zsa Zsa Gabor.

I'd met a few people in the woods whom I hadn't known well or gotten along with while in school and we'd formed a resistance movement that was equal parts Justice League of American and Breakfast Club. I'd taken out one of the guards and gotten his AK-47 and snuck back into the woods.

I don't even watch action movies, but this is about how they proceed, right?

Anyway, it was about then that I woke up.

One time this spring I dreamed a horror movie where, I swear, zombies rose from their graves at Arlington National Cemetery, were marching through DC disguised as a Veteran's parade and were going to take the White House. I knew about it and was trying to stop it, but nobody believed me. My linguist friend would later point out that the zombies might have done a better job RUNNING the government than some people.

I'm a little confused as to why someone who herself prefers funny movies like "Joe vs. the Volcano" and "Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion" or smartypants movies like "Cold Comfort Farm" and "Tea with Mussolini," would be dreaming this other stuff. And why am I dreaming movies at all? I mean, can I not get away from formulaic plots and Hollywood production values even in my dreams?

CC

No comments: