Thursday, August 18, 2005

Balance in all things

Since I posted the thing about the Baptist Easter Pageant I hated, here's something I wrote two years ago about a UU play I didn't like:

Today in church, the "sermon" was a play written and performed by members of another local church.

The actors clearly meant well, and their acting was reasonable, but the play itself was, well, appallingly bad.

Not only did it beat you over the head with the point, which was as subtle as "the Patriot Act is really bad and will destroy everything loveable about America," but it had the corniest dialogue ever.

We're talking it took place in the town of "Ashcroft Falls." The heroine was the town librarian and the villain was a small town cop who spoke in dialogue reminiscent of Andy Griffith having a really, really bad day. Needless to say, the cop didn't even attempt to give a reasonable argument in favor of the Patriot Act.

It was the sort of thing that would have been sort of cute in an RE class of precocious 10-year-olds but was truly sad to see done by adults. I am mortified that they are actually putting it on public access TV so the entire community can see a bunch of UUs acting like partisan buffoons.




CC

1 comment:

PeaceBang said...

This is why I generally LOATHE church theatrics. I can't believe you managed to sit through it. My teeth itch just hearing about it.