To be honest, I'm pretty underwhelmed by the ideas people came up with. They are all the stuff of New Republic essays and the sorts of things I've read before.
I've heard more original ideas from my readers in the past two days.
So I'm starting a UU sliced bread competition.
Send your ideas for fixing UUism to Chalicechick at gmail dot com or post them here. In a week or so, we will vote on them. If I've gotten a lot of ideas, a week or so after that, we will vote again. I will find some sort of strange prize to send the winner and perhaps the runners up if we have more than a few ideas. Oh, and I will mail a letter with the top few suggestions to Sinkford and any relevant UUA big cheeses.
- I have long observed a correllation between Attention Defecit Disorder and UUism, so I'd keep my idea to a couple of paragraphs or so if I were you.
- My views on what's a good idea aren't significant here. Anything I consider a serious entry, I will post. So if your idea is a real idea but something I would hate, such as, oh, requiring that congregations set aside X% of their budgets for political action, send it anyway.
- Keep an eye on economics. I'd love to raise minister pay, but if your idea is "have the UUA start a fund to subsidize minister pay and improve their benefits" and you have no idea how you will pay for it, I won't vote for you.
- Don't forget church polity. Don't suggest something that the UUA can't do.
- I gave three sample ideas. When I get a few more, I will put them in individual posts so we can more easily discuss them.
- The fact that the three sample suggestions all involve GA does not mean all suggestions have to.
Sample ideas (that will be included in the voting)
- Moratorium on condemning things at GA
- Member ratification of GA resolutions
- GA in Las Vegas every year
So, any other ideas?