Friday, December 11, 2009

Gah!

I've often pointed to laws barring atheists from holding public office, unconstitutional but still on the books, as indicators of how far American society has to go as far as acceptance of atheists is concerned.

I really didn't think anybody would ever enforce one. Ok, I didn't think that because I assumed the prejudice against atheists was sufficiently strong that few places would elect an atheist in the first place. But still, I'm surprised.

CC
who feels that atheists often take the wrong path toward getting their rights by being insulting and annoying, which pretty much never works. But the fact that I don't agree with their strategy for getting rights doesn't mean that I don't agree that they deserve those rights in the first place.

4 comments:

PG said...

http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/theclog/2009/12/11/surreal-asheville-white-atheist-vs-black-confederate/

Toonhead said...

Blatantly violating Article VI of the Constitution. Nice.

Comrade Kevin said...

I think PETA is annoying, but I still think they have a right to free expression.

L said...

I'm glad to hear that someone feels the same way about atheists I do (and I'm married to one!).