Monday, February 25, 2008

The first ten songs that went into my iphone

1. The Eels – I like Birds
The Eels was my favorite band when I was in college and I've always liked this song's laid-back groove.

2. The Dandy Warhols - We Used to be Friends
Because it was Veronica Mars' theme song and for many other reasons.

3. The Dead Milkmen - Punk Rock Girl
Go ahead, listen to this song and TRY not to like it. I dare you.

4. Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues
I developed a taste for country music when I lived in New Orleans and this song has always been a favorite.

5. Melissa Etheridge - Threesome
I have a few quibbles with Melissa's slightly judgmental tone, but I love this:

Now, sometimes at night
after the kids are in bed
I'm changing the channels
And you're surfing the web
I stumble onto that show
With all of those ladies
You know with those things
Acting all crazy

I don't know how they manage
To do all that damage
We barely find enough time to kiss


That’s exactly how I view this sort of show. (And I'd stop to watch for a bit, too)

6. Joan Jett and the Blackhearts’s cover of the Mary Tyler Moore theme.
CC’s theme song. It’s hardcore, yet the adorable goofy optimism shines through.

7. Jill Sobule - Karen by Night
I really like this nifty little ballad. It’s the perfect offbeat addition to any mix.

8. The Butthole Surfers – Dracula from Houston
What can I say? I’m a child of the eighties.

9. The Moldy Peaches – Lazy Confession
It’s probably very predictable that I would be into anti-folk. Oh well.

10. Warren Zevon - Lawyers, Guns and Money
The Zevon connoisseur I know assures me that this is an example of his more popular and crappy stuff, but I still wanted it to be my ringtone.

7 comments:

kim said...

I've actually heard of a few of those people! No links?

Gus said...

A nice mix, worthy of this fine new device. Congratulations!

epilonious said...

I am surprised at the lack of "Do it with Madonna" by the Androids.

goodwolve said...

I could never get over their name: The Butthole Surfers. I think they bring out my inner prude.

h sofia said...

I never heard any of those songs; the musicians, yes, but not the songs.

Will said...

Yer right, Folsom Prison Blues is classic.

If you like JJ, try to find her version of Little Drummer Boy. "Rum-pa-pum-pum!"

Will

Jackline said...

Hi Nice Blog. Shout to the world that you are quitting. For those who are dare to quit enough to quit their bad habits like smoking, drinks, drugs etc.. We guaranteed Money back if you are failed.