Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Amusing Anecdote, or not.

Sunday afternoon, I attended ZombieKid’s birthday party. Awesome child that he is, ZombieKid had picked a “Mad Scientist” theme, leaving Jana-who-creates making a robot-shaped cake and filling the goody bags with stuff from American Science and Surplus.

After the party, JWC, Smiley Dave, theCSO and I were cleaning up. Jana was telling Dave how earlier she was asking the group if someone had lost the fresnel lens out of his or her goodie bag.

She explained that she had pronounced “Fresnel” as FREZZ-nul, like Fresno. But one of the kids was very quick to correct her, explaining that the proper pronunciation was “FRAY-nul.”

“So,” I said, “Would you say that this kid was pretty Fresnel-retentive?”

Sigh.

Maybe you had to be there.

CC

3 comments:

RandomRanter said...

I chuckled. (But I'm easy - ba dump bump.)

Anonymous said...

I've never heard that pronunciation before. shows you what I know...

PG said...

I don't even know what a fresnel lens is, much less the pronunciation.