Sunday, March 04, 2007

Redefining "whatever:" A less serious post

(Setting: CC's favorite clothing store in the mall, CC is seated on one of the couches. Honorary-sister-in-Law Tina and TheCSO and I have been shopping for several hours. HSIL Tina comes in.)

HSILT: Hey, where's theCSO?

CC: He went to Williams-Sonoma. He's looking for a cocktail shaker.*

HSILT: Ah, yeah, he stopped by to check on me when I was in the swimsuit place. I decided to buy a two-piece swimsuit to wow Charlie. I tried on a couple and modeled then for TheCSO, who helped me pick.

CC: Hmm... Boy, we MUST be like family because I get that on some level I should probably be cheesed off that you're modeling two-piece bathing suits for my husband, but I'm totally like whatever.

LADY WHO IS WALKING PAST US: (gapes at us, eyes wide) You two have totally redefined the word "whatever" for me! I will never use it loosely again!



Gee, some people are SO-O pointlessly uptight...

CC

*Epilonious' dad makes really excellent cosmopolitans for Epilonious' mom. We aspire to be like Epilonious' folks in several ways, but that's one of them.

2 comments:

PG said...

What makes her an "honorary sister-in-law"? Is she an "honorary sister" of the CSO's? I don't think I have any "honorary brothers" except ones who are either cousins or old family friends. When you grew up with someone, yeah, the two-piece bathing suit isn't a big deal; the one really expensive formal dress I own was picked out by my second cousin after I explained the necessity of straps that would cover a bra. And none of my close female friends (honorary sisters) have gotten married, nor dated someone long enough that he could feel like an honorary brother-in-law.

Chalicechick said...

Honorary-Sister-In-Law-Tina's husband and I go way back and I have called him my "non-pathologicla brother" for some years.

CC