Monday, September 27, 2010

Arizona UUs and water

A few weeks ago, Chalicesseur TK wrote me a note suggesting that I write about these UUs who leave water in the desert for humanitarian reasons. They were recently tried for littering. As far as I can tell, they were guilty under the law as the law doesn't provide an exception for "humanitarian littering."

They got off on a technicality. I'm not going to cry about that.

While I'm sure that a legislator who is smarter than I am could craft an exception that lets one throw water bottle out one's window for humanitarian reasons, but would still cover littering, I don't see Arizona voters/legislators letting it become law.

I agree with the article that this is a bittersweet ending, at best.

One time, my brother got out of jail and Epilonious left a comment on this blog reading "Congratusorry."

That's about where I am. Congratusorry, Tuson UUs.

CC

Who doesn't see this as the church involving itself in politics unreasonably, FWIW.

3 comments:

epilonious said...

Heee.

I remember creating the word... but I forgot about the circumstances that spawned it. One of many ChaliceRecalls to look forward-to.

epilonious said...

Heee.

I remember creating the word... but I forgot about the circumstances that spawned it. One of many ChaliceRecalls to look forward-to.

PG said...

I'm not opposed to people's leaving water in the desert, but I'm not really in favor of it either. Coming into the U.S. without a visa is illegal. Doing is by crossing a desert is stupid.

Then again, I'm also OK with rescue departments (Coast Guard, police, fire, etc.) charging people money if those people deliberately do something extremely risky that very foreseeably will require their rescue.