Monday, December 22, 2008

Another day, another meme

1. Aside from reading, my favorite pastimes are -having long conversations.

2. If I were not a desk driver, I would be -desperately looking for another job. Most of the jobs I like are pretty desk-oriented

3. I am irrationally worried about -Flunking out of law school or getting pregnant at a really inconvenient time*.

4. If I were the opposite sex -I would have one less irrational worry.

5. The thing I miss most about childhood is -umm... err... No! Wait! I got one! No, nevermind. Seriously, I wasn't a particularly happy kid and I wouldn't have any of it back for anything.

6. I like to collect - erotic novels, snowglobes

7. Though I’ve never been there, I feel inexplicably homesick for -Salterton, Canada, where Robertson Davies' Salterton Trilogy is set.

8. I’ve never really liked to eat - marshmellows, though I will sometimes consume them around a campfire just to be a sport.

9. When I have nightmares, they’re usually about -Getting chased by wild dogs and/or hurting someone I love.

10. Magazines subscribed to: Lots of them, but the Economist, the ABA Journal and Entertainment Weekley are the only ones I read with any regularity.

CC
who tags you, yes, you, with this meme. Answer on your blog on in the comments as appropriate.

*Somehow, when I imagine this, it's an inconvenient time for the entire world. Like everybody is pissed off to see my pregnant self as if I'm polluting the gene pool at a time when we particularly don't need that. That's what makes that one irrational. And as far as I can tell, nobody flunks out of law school, not even the kids who appear to be trying.

11 comments:

Bill Baar said...

4. If I were the opposite sex -I would have one less irrational worry.

How so?

Anticipating the answer, that this worry is not shared, is a social ill.

Chalicechick said...

The social ill is a rational worry.

CC

Bill Baar said...

...getting pregnant at a really inconvenient time*.

I don't consider this at all irrational, and it's independent of gender... or should be.

alkali said...

3. I am irrationally worried about -Flunking out of law school or getting pregnant at a really inconvenient time*.

4. If I were the opposite sex -I would have one less irrational worry.


Or maybe you would still have it, in which case it would be even more irrational.

Ian Riddell said...

Salterton, Canada, is actually based on Kingston, Ontario, which is, I think, a great place to visit - and was a wonderful place to grow up.

Chalicechick said...

1. If you are taking every possible precaution short of celibacy, then it's not rational to worry in addition.

2. As I noted in the footnotes, though not in this much detail, for whatever reason* when I imagine the "CC gets pregnant accidentally" scenario, I always find that the entire world, parents, husband, strangers, fetus are pissed off at me for various reasons.

My impression from being around pregnant people is that, if anything, the opposite is the usual reaction. There's a lady in my office who always believes everybody is pregnant. She doesn't bring it up among the unmarried, but if a married woman in my office complains of nausea, it's better than even money that this woman will go,

"Oh my gosh? Are you pregnant? No? Oh. Well, wouldn't it have been awesome if you were?"

With the clear implication that babies are the best thing ever!

Which they kinda are. Just not for me. Especially not right now.

CC

*Actually, I'm sure I know exactly the reason in that I know what's in my gene pool. Lots of schizophrenia, for one thing, though I dodged that particular bullet.

Chalicechick said...

Ps. I'm sure Kingston is awesome. I'm sure I would like it if I visited.

That said, if I can't go to the Cathedral and hear Humphrey Cobbler play or read Gloster Ridley's latest editorial in the Evening Bellman or get lectured at by Puss Pottinger for some imagined misdeed, it ain't the place I'm homesick for.

Ian Riddell said...

Well, the cathedral is still there - as is the organ - but certainly not the center of the community it once was. And the newspaper, The Kingston Whig Standard - formerly owned and published by some of Robertson Davies's close family - is a pathetic rag compared to what it once was, even in my childhood.

The University is still the University.

But none of those people are there, alas.

Chalicechick said...

Well, homesickness is rarely about the physical location anyway.

That said, anyplace with a newspaper called the "Whig Standard" is, I think, awesome by definition.

CC

Chalicechick said...

I should also mention that if I (the one in law school) were a guy and TheCSO were a woman, this would be a less horrible time for theCSO to get pregnant as his job is awesome about this sort of thing and he doesn't have the stresses of school.

CC

PG said...

This may be less true with the evening program, but with the day program, 3L seems to be when everyone who wanted to pop out a kid gets it done. You have your job lined up, you are coasting through the remainder of school -- there never will be a more convenient time to get knocked up.